Install a CableCARD™
If you have cable TV, your TiVo box needs a multi-stream CableCARD (M-Card) to receive cable channels, and to watch and record multiple channels at the same time.
You can pick up a CableCARD at your nearest cable service center, order one from your cable provider, or have a technician bring one to you (fees from your cable provider may apply).
Once you have your card, you can install and activate it yourself.
- Pick up a CableCARD at your nearest cable service center, or order one from your cable company. You will need one M-Card (Multi-stream CableCARD).
- If you haven’t done so already, connect your TiVo box and complete Guided Setup.
- Make sure that your TiVo box is connected to your cable source (e.g., a coax cable is connected from the wall to your TiVo box).
- Insert the M-CARD into the CableCARD compartment on the bottom of the TiVo box. (For some models, the CableCARD slot may be on the back.)
- The CableCARD pairing screen appears automatically. If the screen does not appear automatically, select the Menu icon from the Home screen (or press 0), then choose 'Settings’ > ‘Remote, CableCARD, & Devices’ > ‘CableCARD Decoder’ > ‘CableCARD Installation’ > ‘CableCARD Menu’ > ‘CableCARD Pairing.’
- With the pairing screen visible, contact your cable provider to activate and pair the card. See CableCARD Self-Install or Contact Info.
- Once the card has been activated and paired, press CLEAR on your remote control to exit the pairing screen.
- Press BACK to go back to the CableCARD menu.
- Select ‘Test Channels’ to verify that you are receiving all of your channels. Be sure to verify pairing by testing encrypted channels (usually high-definition or pay channels).
During CableCARD installation, you’ll need to call your cable provider to activate or pair your CableCARD. Use the information below to activate the card yourself or route your call quickly.
Note: Some cable companies require additional equipment, like digital tuning adapters. Be sure to ask your cable provider if additional accessories are required to complete your setup.
- Charter Communications – Support
- Comcast/XFINITY – CableCARD Activation
1-877-405-2298 • www.xfinity.com/activatecablecard
- Cox – CableCARD Activation
- Insight Communications – Support
- Mediacom – CableCARD/Self-Install Activation Line
- Optimum – Support
- RCN – CableCARD/Self-Install Activation
- Suddenlink – Support
- Time Warner/Spectrum – CableCARD Activation
1-866-606-5889 • www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/tv/topics/cablecard-pairing-form.html
- Verizon FiOS – Automated Activation Line
1-888-897-7499 • www.verizon.com/fiostv/selfinstall/