Alexa can do many of the things you usually do with your TiVo remote.
Here are some things you can try:
- “Alexa, pause”
- “Alexa, fast forward." To fast forward at higher speeds, say "Alexa fast forward again."
- “Alexa, previous” is like pressing the Instant Replay button (jumps back 8 seconds).
- "Alexa, skip" or "Alexa, next" will skip a commercial break on SkipMode-enabled shows.
- “Alexa, change the channel to <channel number>."
- “Alexa, watch <channel name>" (e.g., CBS or ESPN). You must set up your Zip code in the Alexa app to enable this command. (Go to Settings, choose your device, then verify the Zip code under 'Device Location.')
- “Alexa, go to Guide."
- “Alexa, go to Home” opens the TiVo Home screen.
- "Alexa, launch <app name>." Available apps include Prime Video, Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu, YouTube, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Vudu, MLB.TV, Plex, and more.
Note that commands like "Pause" or "Play" are also used in other Alexa skills (e.g. music skills). To use them, you may need to add "on TiVo" when you issue the command (for example, "Alexa, play on TiVo.")
Pairing your TiVo device with Alexa
To pair your TiVo device:
- Press the TiVo button on your remote to go to the Home screen, then choose Apps.
- Select the Alexa app.
- On the pairing screen, note the activation code and the name of your TiVo device – you’ll need these during setup. If you have more than one TiVo device, make sure each one has a unique and easily-recognizable or you will not be able to complete setup.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device.
- Search for the “TiVo” skill, enable it, and follow the on-screen instructions. You’re all set!
- To pair additional TiVo devices, select "Manage and Link Devices" in the TiVo skill, then choose "Link another device.”
With TiVo and Alexa, your smart home just got a little smarter.