Alexa can do many of the things you usually do with your TiVo remote.
Note: Commands like "Pause" or "Play" are also used in other Alexa skills (e.g. music skills). To use them, you may need to add "on TiVo" when you issue the command (for example, "Alexa, play on TiVo"). This will bring your TiVo device “in focus” -- that is, it makes Alexa aware that TiVo is the device being used. Similarly, if there's been no activity on your TiVo device for approximately 60-90 minutes (e.g., if you have been watching a single show or channel for a long time), you will need to add “TiVo” to the command (“Alexa, pause on TiVo”).
Tip: Use simple short commands (“Alexa, pause,” not “Alexa, pause the TV”).
Need an easy reference chart to help you come up to speed on the TiVo Alexa skill? Click here.
- “Alexa, pause” to pause playback.
- "Alexa, play" to resume watching.
- “Alexa, fast forward." To fast forward at higher speeds (up to three times faster), say "Alexa fast forward again."
- “Alexa, previous” is like pressing the Instant Replay button (jumps back 8 seconds).
- "Alexa, skip" or "Alexa, next" will skip a commercial break on SkipMode®-enabled shows.
- “Alexa, change the channel to < number>."
- “Alexa, change channel to <network name>" (e.g., CBS or ESPN). You must set up your Zip code in the Alexa app to enable this command. (Go to Settings, choose your device, then verify the Zip code under 'Device Location.')
- “Alexa, go to Guide" opens the TiVo program guide.
- “Alexa, go to Home” opens the TiVo Home screen.
- "Alexa, go to settings" opens the TiVo settings screen.
- "Alexa, launch <app name>" opens a streaming video app. Available apps include Prime Video, Netflix, HBO GO, and YouTube.
Pairing your TiVo device with Alexa
To pair your TiVo device:
- Press the TiVo button on your remote to go to the Home screen, then choose Apps.
- Select the Alexa app.
- On the pairing screen, note the activation code and the name of your TiVo device – you’ll need these during setup. If you have more than one TiVo device, make sure each one has a unique and easily-recognizable or you will not be able to complete setup.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device.
- Open the navigation menu, and select "Skills & Games."
- In the search box, enter "TiVo."
- Select “TiVo” from the list, and follow the on-screen instructions. You’re all set!
- To pair additional TiVo devices, select "Manage and Link Devices" in the TiVo skill, then choose "Link another device.”
With TiVo and Alexa, your smart home just got a little smarter.