TiVo app for Android devices
- App Setup
- What to Watch
- Search & Guide
- My Shows
- Downloading shows
- Remote control
- Info screen
- Sharing on Facebook & Twitter
- Changing your selected DVR
- Settings & Help
Before you begin, make sure you are running the latest android software and that you have a compatible TiVo box connected to your home network.
Download the TiVo app from the iTunes App Store. It's free! If you already have the app, make sure you are running the latest version, with no updates pending. (Note: The TiVo app will not run on jailbroken Android devices.)
The first time you launch your TiVo app, you'll go through a one-time set-up process. It only takes a minute.
- Launch the TiVo app.
- Sign in to the app using your TiVo.com username and password.
- If prompted, select the primary TiVo box to use with the app. (You will only be prompted if you have more than one compatible box on your home network.) You can always switch to a different TiVo box later.
- If prompted, complete streaming setup to stream shows to your Android device while you’re connected to your home network (in-home setup) or away from your home network (out-of-home). Be sure to check the boxes for both in- and out-of-home setup for the most flexibility.
The What to Watch screen is the first screen you'll see when you enter the app. Use the filter strip across the top of the screen to browse for shows that are available to stream, watch live, bookmark, or record.
Tap on a show image and then tap 'Get this show' for options. Depending on the show, you’ll be able to record or bookmark an episode, set up a OnePass for a series, bookmark or record a movie or view upcoming showings. (If you already have a OnePass search or recording set up for the show, you’ll also see an option to modify your options.)
Find, explore, and watch shows in just a few taps of the screen. Give it a try:
- Tap the magnifying glass icon at the top of the screen, and enter the first few letters of title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in. A list of matches will appear beneath the search window. Tap the best match to get more information about it. Depending on the show, you can choose to watch the show, set up a recording or OnePass on your DVR, or change your recording or OnePass options.
- Tap the Menu icon > Guide to browse the program guide. Scroll the guide columns up or down to view more listings. To search for a channel, tap the magnifying glass at the top left of the Guide (yellow outline in image). To change the channel list, choose the person/list icon (green outline in image). To jump to a particular time, tap the date at the top of the Guide to bring up the date selector (orange outline in image). Tap a show title to display information and viewing options.
To get to the My Shows list, tap the Menu icon > My Shows. This list mirrors the My Shows list on your TiVo box. You’ll see categories listed on the left side of the list (on a tablet) or in a drop-down menu (on a phone) to help you find what you’re looking for.
Tap a show’s title to see the Series or Movie screen. The episode selected in the WatchList, or the movie, can be played by tapping the Play icon at the top of the screen. Or, depending on the title, you can add a bookmark (if available), edit your OnePass, delete the episode/movie, or download it to your device. In the bottom part of the screen, you can view other episodes in your WatchList, explore cast and crew, see a list of upcoming episodes, and more.
To watch a show on your TV (sometimes called "casting" a show), tap the drop-down menu under the Play icon and choose "On TV."
With a recording selected, selected, tap the download icon to download the recording to your mobile device. This will allow you to watch it when you’re not connected to Wi-Fi. You’ll find downloaded shows in the Downloads category of My Shows.
Note: Downloaded shows are available to watch only from the TiVo app. If you uninstall the TiVo app, the downloads will be deleted from your Android device.
Control your TiVo box from the TiVo app. Tap the Menu icon > Remote Control to bring up the app’s remote. Note that you may need to scroll down to see all of the buttons.
Note: The remote control is not available when you are away from your home network.
Manage your To Do List and OnePass searches, and view your DVR’s recording activity from inside the TiVo app. Tap the Menu icon > Manage for options:
- To Do List: Tap a show title to review details.
- OnePass Manager: To get more information about a OnePass and modify options, tap the series title. To change the priority of your OnePass searches, simply drag and drop your shows into the desired order.
- Recording Activity: Tap a title to learn why a the show didn’t record.
You can reach the Info screen at any time by tapping the Menu icon > Info. This screen displays information about the show that's currently airing on your TiVo box. As you change channels, the Info screen will update to reflect the show you're watching.
Note: The Info screen is not available when you are away from your home network.
To post or tweet about a show, simply choose a show from your My Shows list, the Guide, or What to Watch, and then tap the sharing icon.
Note: You must be logged on to the Facebook or Twitter app to post/tweet directly from the TiVo app.
To connect to a different TiVo box in your network, tap the Menu icon then the name of the currently-connected DVR beneath the TiVo icon. (You can also tap the Menu icon > Settings > Selected Source.
To change settings or get help, tap the Menu icon > Settings.
- Selected Source: The TiVo box to which you are currently connected.
- My Account: Sign out of your TiVo account.
- Guide Channels: Choose which channel list to use in the Guide by default:
- My Channels: Displays channels selected in your channel list.
- Favorite Channels: Displays channels you've chosen as favorites
- All Channels: Displays all channels, even those you that are not selected in your channel list.
Streaming & Downloading
- Start Setup: Set up in- and out-of-home streaming if you didn't set these up during initial app setup.
- Set Default Streaming Quality
- In-Home Streaming Video Quality: Set the video quality when watching out-of-home.
- Out-of-Home Streaming Video Quality: Set the video quality when watching out-of-home.
- System Info: Provides full system information, including TSN, software version, and more.
- Test Your Broadband: Scans your network for streaming devices and broadband capability
- How to Stream and Download: Links to more information about Streaming & Downloading.
- Streaming Technical Support: Links to the TiVo Support site.
- Step-by-step Instructions: Links to this article.
- Step-by-step Instructions: Links to this article.
- Technical Support: Links to the TiVo Support site.
About This App: Displays the app version number.